Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Valentine's Day

Owen woke up on Valentine's Day complaining of a headache. Of course. He always seems to get sick on the days that are the most fun.  Since it was the day of their Valentine's party, and I was the one in charge of this party, I was kind of in a bind. I let him sleep a little, hoping he would feel better when he woke up. I ended up taking him late and he acted fine and was excited about the party. But when Reed and I got to school for the party, Owen was throwing up in front of the whole 2nd grade during their music performance practice. I felt terrible. I immediately felt the weight of a bad Mommy decision wash over me. I did that to him. That was all I could think of. I made him go to school because I didn't want him to miss the party. I thought he would be upset that I made him go even when he told me he felt bad. But he wasn't. I asked him about what happened at the practice and he said it was really loud and he started to get hot and his head was really hurting. Then he felt like he was going to throw up.  He said he knew it was getting close to the time of the party and Reed and I would be coming soon. He said he looked out the window and saw us pull in the parking lot. He said he knew it would be okay if he threw up because I was there.

Owen is big and getting bigger. He doesn't need me for a lot of things and acts like a teenager most days. But that day, he needed me. He felt bad and just knowing I was there made him feel better. I know for a fact that God did that. God allowed him to be able to see the parking lot from where he was standing, so that he could be reassured that we were there and would take him home. I know I messed up that day. But I was thankful that God allowed it to work out in the end. And I was thankful to know that he still needs me.