Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

You're gonna miss this...

I'll have to admit...some days are long. When you can't go to National Fitness because you hurt your back. When you can't make plans to hang out with anyone else, because there isn't really anyone you want to hang out with. When you just wait around until lunchtime when it's time to eat with Owen. 

This was one of those days. It was long. Usually the long days are the ones when I can't workout...which was the case this day. But as I sat in the floor with a heating pad on my back, watching him play, I realized something. I realized that these are the days I'm going to miss. I might miss going to the library, splash pads, and playgrounds. I might miss going to Chickfila or open gym time at Gym Tek. I might even miss the zoo. But I think what I'll miss most of all will be days like this. Hanging out in my pajamas, taking all the time in the world to drink my coffee and watch him play.  This is what matters. This is what matters to him and what should matter to me. This is what so many Moms wish they could do, but never get to. Something I sometimes take for granted. 

Sometimes I have to stop and remind myself that this time we have is special. It's imortant. And it won't be here forever. These are the times I'm going to miss when he goes to Kindergarten...when I go back to work...when they grow up and don't walk and run up and down the hallway of our house anymore. 

While I watched him play, I kept hearing these lyrics over and over again in my head...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days
Hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this.