Dear "boy you've got your hands full" person,
I realize that I have two kids and there is only one of me. I realize that these two kids are energetic boys. I realize that I have a huge bag filled with diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, cups of milk, snacks, bouncy balls, monster trucks, and maybe even a squishy little alligator. I realize that sometimes I might also have a big stroller, or an even bigger double stroller. Or I might even be getting a bike, tricycle and two cute little helmets out of my car. I realize that in any store with a shopping cart, my kids are not in that shopping cart. My oldest is too big and my youngest thinks he is, too. I realize that at some point during our shopping excursion, you will see someone running through the store, sometimes, it is all three of us. I realize that it looks like I have my hands full, but isn't that an obvious statement? That would be like me saying, "You are old."
I would love for someone to see me out in public with my two energetic boys and say,
You are doing a great job. Thank you for waking up early and staying up late and getting up at all hours of the night when your babies are learning to eat, teething or sick. Thank you for wiping little noses, hands and butts. Thank you for cleaning up spills. Thank you for preparing meals and snacks. Thank you for having a bag full of snacks and toys wherever you go. Thank you for making sure your kids are clean. Thank you for making sure that your kids don't have snot, dirt or cheetos all over their hands and faces. Thank you for not yelling and cursing at your kids. Thank you for making sure your kids are dressed, socks and shoes included. Thank you for not ever taking your child anywhere in a diaper. Thank you for changing your child's diaper as soon as it gets dirty. Thank you for teaching them how to plant a garden, water it and watch it grow. Thank you teaching your children new words everyday. Thank you for trying to teach them manners. Thank you for teaching them how to take turns and share with each other. Thank you for teaching them to hug. Thank you for teaching them how to be independent. Thank you for taking them places everyday. Thank you for taking them into the real world and teaching them about real life experiences. Thank you for teaching them about God. Thank you for teaching them how to pray before you leave the house, eat a meal, or go to sleep at night. Thank you for teaching them that it's okay to make mistakes, spill things, get their clothes dirty and cry. Thank you for doing these things every single day of your children's lives. Thank you for doing this full time "job" without breaks, sick days, vacation days or a paycheck. Thank you for giving up your career to be with your babies. Thank you for raising your own kids, instead of letting someone else do it for you. Thank you for continuing to do it, no matter how hard and long some days are. Thank you for having fun with your kids. Thank you for laughing, singing and smiling. You are a good Mom.
Any of these comments would make my Mommy heart happy, especially the last one. Then, instead of pointing out how old you are and stewing for the rest of the day, my response would be, "Thank you for noticing."