Last night, I was getting Owen to sleep, just like I always do. We had already read books and the light was off, which means that it is time to lay down. He was flipping and flopping back and forth, talking and putting off falling asleep, just like he always does. I was listening to him going over all of the things he did that day, as he flipped and flopped back and forth in the bed... "play fountains" "see big train" "look another train". As I laid there and listened to him, I couldn't help but smile and it made me realize something...well two somethings, actually.
The first thing that came to my mind was the number of parents who probably miss this special time everyday. How many parents put their child in their bed, kiss them goodnight and close the door? How many parents miss out on hearing their sweet little child recounting all of the fun things they did that day? How many parents choose to watch tv, do housework or read a book instead of watching their baby close his eyes and fall asleep? I don't know how many...but I know I'm glad I'm not one of them.
The other thing I thought of was this...what a great idea it is to lay in bed each night and think about all of the fun things you did that day. Instead of falling asleep thinking of all the things I need to do when I wake up tomorrow, I need to fall asleep thinking of the fun we had today. I need to fall asleep with a smile on my face, remembering Owen playing in the fountains and looking at the train. I need to live my life the way he does. He lives each day full of joy and excitement, even down to the last second before he closes his eyes and drifts off to sleep...and I should do that, too.